Frequently Asked Questions
How do I update or register my vehicle information?
- FIU is utilizing virtual parking permits and license plate recognition hardware and software (LPR) for parking systems management. Student permits are automatically loaded on to every current student account (exceptions apply). Faculty and Staff have to purchase their permits prior to parking on campus. Permits can be purchased either online or in our office at MMC in PG5 or BBC in AC1.
- Login to your parking account using your FIU credentials. If you currently have a vehicle, proceed to remove it and add the license plate number of the new vehicle. If you are updating the license plate on a vehicle, you must still delete the existing vehicle from your account. If this is your first vehicle, just add it as a new vehicle.
Where can I park?
- FIU has marked parking spaces which designate the permission needed to park in each space.
- Students: Unmarked spaces are considered student spaces and require student permits.
- Visitors: metered spaces. FIU has pay-stations that accept card and coin, as well as Pay-by-Phone parking application.
- Contractors/Vendors: must register in one of our offices to obtain a Contractor/Vendor permit.
- Event attendees, please refer to the event organizer’s parking instructions. All events at FIU should register with Parking & Transportation to provide parking for event attendees. If no information is provided, you must park in metered parking.
How does RideFlag work?
- FIU has designated carpool spaces for those that utilize the RideFlag application. This app will allow you and someone else to carpool to campus and then receive a virtual carpool permit for the day. Please note, that you must already have a valid FIU parking permit to obtain the carpool permit.
- Please refer to this page on RideFlag setup steps.
Is there transportation between campuses?
- Yes! FIU provides transportation between the MMC and BBC campuses with the Golden Panther Express (GPE).
■ The pick-up and drop-off location for Modesto A. Maidique Campus is in Lot 3, by the SASC building and next to the Gold Parking Garage. The pick-up and drop-off location for Biscayne Bay Campus is located in front of the AC1 Building.
■ Students: Free each way.
■ Non-Students & Affiliates: $5.00 each way.
■ GPE payments must be made with FIU OneCards. Please visit onecard.fiu.edu/get for more information.
■ Visit parking.fiu.edu/campus-transport-gpe/ for schedule and bus tracking.
- FIU also provides complimentary transportation between MMC and FIU Engineering Campus with the CATS shuttle service. Visit parking.fiu.edu/campus-transport/cats/ for more information.
- These services are active during class session and will stop in the weeks between semesters. Summer hours will remain the same as the other semesters.
When are the MDT Bus Passes available?
- Pre-ordering begins online the 14th of every month. The passes then are available for pick up or purchase at the office three business days before the end of each month on both campuses.The last day to purchase bus passes in office is the 8th of each month.
- An Easy Card (monthly Metro bus pass) for the Miami-Dade transit system is available to the FIU community at $56.25 and may be preordered online or purchased at our office in PG5. MDT parking permits must be purchased online through MDT’s website.
Can I park in the Parkview Housing Garage?
- Parkview Housing Garage is for housing students only.
- A housing garage semester virtual permit will be made available to those who desire a higher level of parking service at the Parkview Housing Garage. You may purchase this permit in your parking web portal for one or two semesters starting in the Fall semester.
- During the Summer semester, Parkview Housing Garage will have Pay-by-Phone spaces available for a daily rate for those who have a valid FIU parking permit.
Can freshman bring vehicles on campus?
- Yes! On the week prior to the start of the semester you will need to login to the parking portal with your student credentials and register your vehicle information. (See “How do I update or register my vehicle information?”)
Are there charging stations for electric vehicles?
- Charging stations are available in all garages excluding Parkview Housing Garage. Also available at Engineering Campus.
- To use the charging station, download the Semma Connect app from the App Store or the Google Play Store. Alternatively, call 1-800-663-5633 and follow the prompts to start charging by phone. EV stations can be found throughout the campus. Price for charging your electric vehicle start at $1/ per hour.
How do I appeal a citation?
- Citations may only be appealed within 10 business days from the issue date of the citation (Note: Citations will have an issue date and violation date). Appeals should only be filed if a legitimate basis exists.
- Login to your parking account using your FIU credentials. Hover over the Citations tab located at the Menu Bar. Select Appeal citation from the drop down menu. You may select the citation from the list or type the citation number into the text box.